Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss and The American Forests Fund


I've written about First Fridays before.
Each Month Boonton Main Street retailers all stay open late the First Friday.
Typically we have a theme and everyone goes all out to make it a great night.
(read PAR  TAY)
This month for (the very obvious) Valentines theme I had a local photographer in and created a "kissing booth". He photographed people of all sorts kissing or hamming it up.
It was a fun night!
But next month.....we honor Dr Seuss!
I'm so sooooo excited!
It would have been his birthday on March 2nd had he not passed in 1991.
Dr. Seuss was a man who I admire on so many levels.
He was a visionary and an environmentalist with a tremendous sense of humor.
When Savannah was small every year we would dress up as the same thing. (well one year she was a bride and I was the bridesmaid...but I think it still counts)
Savannah was probably about 4 and we were both the Cat in the Hat.
I think if you ask her today....what she remembers most...it would likely be mom singing Disney tunes (most specifically one from The Little Mermaid) us dancing "the hustle" in our undies and "Horton Hears a Who". It was a favorite of mine (which means it became a favorite of hers) and I spent many a day reading and doing every character in a different voice. It still makes me smile.
Dr Seuss had an uncanny knack for taking a serious complicated intense topic and bringing it down to it's simplest form. So the smallest of small could understand.
In 1971 he published a genius book called "The Lorax".
Back then many were called "ecologists" and I include myself on the simplest level. You don't hear that term much anymore
 (arrg this is a you know your old when... moment) but what you do hear and see is real change in the way people view our Earth and the "stuff" in it.
The Lorax was the spokesperson for trees (because the trees had no tongues).
The lesson was simple...put thought into what you are producing...because while it is filling a need, you must consider the harm it is doing too.
For as long as I can remember I have considered....and while it was not really planned, it is no surprise that my business is one based on recycling, repurposing and reusing.
So it is oh so fitting for me to honor Dr. Seuss for the lesson he tried to teach about our Earth, the trees and corporate greed and destruction.
Thus my THEME for First Friday
(and the whole month of March) is
"The Lorax" and his monumental reminder:

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's NOT."

I am working on creating tee shirt bags from repurposed tees that were donated to me (by the oh so beautiful Domestic Goddess) and ones I have had or found in thrift shops.  I will make as many as possible in the next few weeks.
These bags signify an alternative to paper shopping bags (formerly known as trees). They are unique, one of a kind, and can be used over and over (and washed with regular laundry).
I will be giving out these bags for a small donation (5.00 or more)
100% off all monies raised will go to The American Forests Fund.

You see the truth is I have believed for a very long time that I can and do make a difference in this world.
And I encourage all of you to consider....
you too can make a difference.

I have also set up a listing here if you cannot make it into my shop on First Friday or all month of March. I will ship your tee shirt bag to your address listed.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's Not"
The Lorax   by Dr. Seuss

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!



Tee Shirt Bag. Assorted Styles.
100% of all money goes to: 
The American Forests Fund.

Quantity
shipping address






2 comments:

  1. Love it! And love my t-shirt bags! I am following your lead and running a contest... having people post a photo of how they repurposed their DG glass. And did you know that the Lorax movie comes out this spring? We need to go! Maybe Savannah will join us. I love donating to The American Forest Funds. You are such an ECOLOGIST xoxxDG

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....I lurve you! too funny. I am on for the the movie! Game on for the DG glass contest....

    ReplyDelete