Thursday, October 20, 2011

What's New (repurposed)

Several Months ago, at a local auction I came upon a box of vintage sheet music. 
I had to have it to add to my "ephemera stash".
I had no clue what I was going to do with it......but I was determined to have the winning bid.
I bid, I won....
The sheet music sat and sat.

While getting ready for the Art Walk (and Fall/Christmas) shoppers I wanted to offer something new....something I made(other than furniture that is)
I pulled out some sheet music and starting thinking...
I have seen vintage sheet music used for so many different things. Fabulous Decoupaged shelves like the ones Heather at postroadvintage.com creates.......OR
the cute paper chain garlands made by Claire at www.etsy.com/shop/MontclairMade
So soooo many cool fun things out there.
Then it hit me.
A while back I purchased "chip clips" from my friend and the oh so fabulous Domestic Goddess TP yes this DG  ( thedomesticgoddessfiles.blogspot.com  )        
  she had the genius idea to take clothespins and stamp them with cute sayings and sell them as chip clips. We are on the same page as far as reducing waste and the lowering the use of "forever" plastic in our lives.
 These chip clips are great, I love them.... soooo I stole her idea (thank you DG) and decoupaged the sheet music to clothespins.

I am also in the process of making bows (like the ones we all buy by the bag at Christmas) and package tags too!  I want to offer a cool repurposed alternative for gift wrap.
Lets face it Christmas is such a time of excess. We often spend more than we should or can afford just to make the holiday special. And then we spend some more on gift wrap that we use to make the boxes look pretty, only to have it ripped off and thrown in the trash.
It's wasteful, and really not necessary.
I challenge all of you to make different choices this Holiday Season.
(and in your life)

(packaged in 100% biodegradable glassine bags)

As an example:
This past Saturday I went to a bridal shower. I can't remember the last one I had been to. I was invited because I am "Deans other". Quite honestly, I was shocked when I got the invite. I mean I know his future niece but I am really kind of "optional" as far as the "should" of who to invite from his family.
I was really happy to go, very excited. Of course I went on the registry and choose things from her list. It was fun. BUT how do I wrap it? For me it is no longer an option to go out an purchase one time use wrapping paper.

Soooo I scented the sheet music (hey it's from the 40s it does not smell that great) and wrapped all of her gifts in sheet music and kraft paper and added vintage seam binding as ribbon and used the handmade bows and tags.

The boxes were a hit and Carolynes mom is going to reuse some of the sheet music for her photo album.
It was such a hit I decided to offer premade decoupaged boxes with the vintage seam binding ribbon, bow and tags for sale to use for small gift wrapping. (think jewelry boxes)


Sooo Have fun, think outside the box....




"You Must Be The Change You Wish To See In The World".... Mahatma Gandhi.




No comments:

Post a Comment